Saturday 7 May 2011

Patterns

Looking at my work I started to find it quite bland and I wanted pattern in it. However not typical traditional pattern I wanted somehow to make it more contemporary.  

I was inspired by this piece done my deviant art designer. I loved the border around the image but also the colour choice and silhouette design which I’m trying to achieve.
So I looked at henna designs form magazines and started to do a few studies of them. Obviously the paisley design is common amongst henna patterns due to being a traditional Indian pattern. I notice a lot of the patterns are curvy and flowing. so I started to pick out/ develop patterns and  borders with a more geometric style to give it a more current feel.


At the same time, I was rummaging through my auntie’s henna box when I came across some henna stencils which I fell in love with and also reminded me of the print which influenced my Rakhi design. I wanted to create my own stencil/ stencil design so I created a cardboard cut-out and some felt tip designs. I’m planning to use the cardboard cut out in printing and see if the pattern turns out well on paper. The stencil design I’ve created I’m going to scan them in and create a vector design.
Now I had an idea of drawing a henna design on my hands and then either writing some type on it with henna or taking a picture of the Henna design and layering typography on it on photoshop.

After an hour struggling, I worked out how to use henna. The design has come out, quite well. With some editing on Photoshop, should work out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment