Saturday 7 May 2011

Holi

During Holi, coloured powder is thrown at each other, looking at my research pictures, people are covered in this coloured powder, taking this idea, and I smeared paint across a page and then worked on top of it. It’s sort of layering an image without using computer software. The image turned out well and this style suits the festival.



An interesting tradition I came across was the drinking of 'bhang' on this day. It's a drink also associated with Lord Shiva. It's a mixture of milk and the buds of the cannabis plant, thus drinking it will make you very high. Everyone drinks this on this festival. One can even buy it on other days from a government authorised bar. Its traditionally drank to encourage the merry atmosphere and relax people. It would not be possible to do such a thing in the UK, only India could do this. Anyway I think it's a really interesting tradition and has a fun element to develop imagery upon.

From my research, I found silhouette/ stencil forms to be more successful and contemporary therefore I wanted to involve this style in my work. I've attempted to do this with the bhang image. Looks quite effective and has that grunge element which is fashionable at the moment. I did a study of a typical Indian glass, simplified it and then carved it out of cardboard, likewise with the typography (Impact Font) works well with the word.


No comments:

Post a Comment