Monday 30 May 2011

Playing Cards Box

I really wanted to design a box for the cards so I looked at the hand gesture design and my henna stencil.

Down below were my interpretation of combining contemporary colours and style to a traditional Hindu festival. Also I’ve constantly referred to the henna patterns in the card symbols and etc to keep that Indian quality.



At first I tried the designs in more traditional colours just to get an idea of the composition and design.


Then developed into more subtle contemporary colours, I again utilized print patterns to keep that Indian quality but choice of colour and imagery keep it modern. This is exactly what I wanted to achieve concerning statement of intent, I wanted designs that made the festivals more appealing and interesting of today’s generation.

This design I chose for the final box cover because of the hands posture and elegance with holding the card symbols. Futhermore asking peers, Lecturers and family, they found this design the strongest.


The design on a box net



Also the idea of playing cards as part of a festival is quite amusing, a point I took on during our crits was to pick the unusual traditions/ amusing ones to appeal to the younger generation.

I also have tried to keep that silhoette style to my work as that's what I found succesful and strong in my research aka Lokesh Karekar!

No comments:

Post a Comment